Author Topic: Fundamentals: Overwriting of the NT Corpus (3) The Importance of Right Knowledge  (Read 477 times)

Rebbe

• Administrator
FUNDAMENTALS: THE OVERWRITING OF THE NT CORPUS [3]

THE IMPORTANCE OF RIGHT KNOWLEDGE

Copyright © BRI 2013 All Rights Reserved Worldwide by Les Aron Gosling,
Messianic Lecturer (BRI/IMCF)

CAUTION: BRI Yeshiva notes are not available to the general public. They are not for distribution. They are not for reproduction. The notes may also bear little or no resemblance to the actual audio or video recorded BRI Yeshiva lecture.

In our last two lectures on "The Overwriting of the New Testament Corpus" we have come to see that the beloved AV (also called the KJV) is decidedly not an accurate translation of the holy Scriptures. In fact, it was never intended to be anything but a popular version for the masses which was designed (for all intents and purposes) to keep the general population in subjection to the authority of the Crown -- which meant to King James himself.

During my sojourn in deputised ministry with the world's largest international missionary radio organisation I was once confronted by a sweet old lady wearing a blueish or grey felt hat (she was one of the "blue rinse set") who stood waiting at the door of a High Anglican Church (Episcopalian in the USA) in order to shake my hand and to thank me for my sermon. (I had given both a sermon and earlier had conducted a "Sacraments" ritual.) She asked what Bible I had used in my teaching that morning. I replied, "The King James." She responded, "Oh, wonderful. I am so glad to hear that! I think if the King James Bible was good enough for the Lord and His disciples it should also be good enough for us!"

True story. I have since read a Reader's Digest short story which was much along the same lines, but perhaps such an incident occurred with the writer who sent it to RD, as it had also occurred to me.

In our last lecture in this series I stated that if Our Lord Yeshua "heads" the global Messianic Movement today -- and remember that this "Movement" is presently only emerging in its infancy -- then it will be defined by three specific things:

[1] It will bear, and exercise, THE AUTHORITY OF YESHUA.

"And it occurred that when Yeshua had completed these sayings the public was astonished at his doctrine; FOR HE TAUGHT THEM AS ONE WHO POSSESSED AUTHORITY, and not as the scribes" (Mt 7.28,29).

The Apostles all spoke with a sense of indwelling authority. That authority was born of a deep and rich humility, by the indwelling Ruach HaKodesh, which spoke the Word of God as a living source and fountain of enriching Grace. The voice of the holy SPIRIT OF GOD did not speak in isolated fashion. Rather, it channelled itself through existing human giftings gathered together in the ekklesia: namely, apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers (Eph 4.11). The HEAD of the BODY is Yeshua and He speaks today, as He did in the past, through human instruments who have definitely and finally experienced His ever and always SAVING GRACE.

[2] It will bear, and exercise, THE POWER OF YESHUA.

"The men all marvelled saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and sea obey him!" (Mt 8.27).

The power of Yeshua today can, and ought, to be manifest in and through the GIFTS of the Ruach HaKodesh -- the word of wisdom, word of knowledge, faith, healing gifts, working of miracles, utterance of prophecy, ability to distinguish spirits, speaking with tongues and interpretation of tongues (1 Cor 12.8-11).

If the HEAD of the BODY speaks through human agents who have a rich experience of His Presence in their lives, the power of Yeshua as exercised in the gifts of the Spirit corresponds to the HANDS of Yeshua reaching out to aid those who find themselves in need as the same Saviour did so many years ago in Judaea and the Galil.

[3] It will bear, and exercise, THE GRACE OF YESHUA.

"For you know by experience the Grace of our Lord Yeshua the Messiah, that although he was wealthy, yet for your sakes became impoverished, in order that, as for you, through his poverty you might become wealthy" (2 Cor 8.9).

The wealth -- the riches -- of Our Lord Yeshua are precious commodities of character. Successful people in all fields of endeavour recognise that without the basic riches of character, attaining and possessing ultimate business success is an empty act of chasing after fool's gold: it will invariably elude you. One of the all-time best sellers by Napoleon Hill, Think and Grow Rich, lays great store on the building and accrual of essential character at all costs. And, of course, Hill is absolutely correct. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal 5.22,23) are all elements of Messiah's own character. God's Spirit channelled through the various human agencies of the ekklesia (both at the local and international levels) corresponds to the HEART of Yeshua reaching out in other-enriching compassion and love.

Clearly, all of us who possess the holy Spirit (and are possessed by the Spirit) and who share the Divine Nature would desire to meet with others of like mind, would we not? Of course we would!

I would like to add a fourth identification characteristic.

[4] It will be styled by an advancement and growth in a RARE and UNCOMMON KNOWLEDGE, ORIGINATING IN YESHUA.

If there is ONE THING that marks us off from the rest of the Messianic Movement (and the historic church too, for that matter) it is our propensity toward restoring the lost first century Jewish thoughtform and the restoration of knowledge from the past which has largely been overlooked or even, more tragically, forgotten.

The good news though is that Our Lord Yeshua said to his very own hand-chosen students: "I have so much more to share with you, but with regret you are not as yet prepared for this knowledge. But when the Spirit of Truth [right knowledge] has come, She will guide and lead you into all the Truth; for She will not speak on her own authority but whatever She hears that will she convey and She will declare to you the things that are yet to come. She will glorify me, for She will take what originates with me and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that She will take what is mine and declare it to you" (Jn 16.12-15).

In our first lecture we considered the background reasons as to why King James used the pagan Trinity doctrine to enforce a devilish political persuasion upon the masses, reinforcing a corrupt view of the classifications and caste/class system in the differentiation of "clergy" from "laity."

There is another text that also was implanted in the Bible in order to give further legitimate substance to the religio-political power of the State. Please turn with me to Matthew 28.19. As it reads in the AV (and in some other versions):

"Go you therefore and teach all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

QUESTION: What is the Name of the Holy Spirit? We know the Father's Name and the Name of his Son. But what is the Name by which the Spirit is known?

As far as this Scripture is concerned, we should immediately be on our guard when we read the verses immediately preceding this Great Commission. The resurrected Lord Yeshua declares with awesome dignity, "ALL power and authority is given unto me in the heavens and on the earth" (Mt 28.18 Gk) and then He proceeds to utilise a formula necessary for the salvation of humanity which involves the Father and the Spirit in necessary unison with Himself.

Some may not see an inconsistency here, but I most certainly do.

The very fine Roman Catholic Jerusalem Bible in its footnote to this verse recognises caution is needed. So also does the Bible School of Jerusalem (Catholic). Indeed, the formula resembles the pagan Roman system of co-administration of the First Triumvirate (Pompius, Julius Caesar, Crassus) in the first century BCE in the Roman State and as later developed in the Second Triumvirate (Mark Antony, Octavius, Lepidus) in the first century CE. So, in Matthew 28.19 three names are needed for the salvation of the world. The name of Yeshua is herein de-emphasised.

This is in marked contrast with Acts 8.16 "ONLY in the [single] name of Yeshua." It is contrary to Peter's position (Acts 4.12) and to Paul's (Col 3.17). It is also in conflict with the teaching of the singular name of Yeshua throughout the entire "NT" (See Acts 2.38; 3.6; 4.18; 8.16; 9.27; 10.48; 15.26; 21.13; Rom 6.3; Mt 10.22; 11.27; Lk 10.17; 24.45,47; Jn 16.24; 1 Jn 5.13; Jn 17.2; Phil 2.9-11). It runs the gauntlet with the "OT," too (Dan 7.13,14).

If this evidence of obvious tampering with the Word of God is not allowed, then we finally ask the testimony of the great Church historian Eusebius (c.264-c.340 CE). This scholar knows nothing of the Trinity baptismal formula in Mt 28.19 but only permits "Go you and make disciples of all the nations in my name" (Ecc.Hist., 111, v,2).

Here in the writings of the great librarian of Caesarea -- Eusebius -- is a direct quotation of Mt 28.19 as he read it at that time. It had to have been overwritten at a later date. It does not appear in any Matthean Gospel ms prior to the late 4th century CE! Intriguingly, the verse as given above in his Ecclesiastical History appears a total of 17 occasions in his works PRIOR to the Council of Nicaea. AFTER that Council his writings use the Trinitarian formula in 5 places! Scholars treat these five distortions as accretions added to his original works which survived that period. There can be little doubt that the heavy hand of priesthood was already adept at changing texts not merely of the biblical revelation but also the works of great scholars. It was during this same general period that we find evidence of tampering in the works of Rome's Jewish historian Josephus.

[N.B. I have mentioned the Jerusalem Bible. For students interested in Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and the Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien contributed his version of the book of Jonah to this version. Praise the Lord (of the Rings)!]

An examination of the many passages in the Messianic Scriptures relating to the holy Spirit of God will show a good many of them without the definite article indicating (at least in some respects) the lack of the Spirit's individual personality (Acts 6.3,5; 1 Cor 12.3; Rom 9.1; Heb 2.4; 6.4; 2 Pet 1.21; Jude 20 etc). Not only so, but the entire Bible has a lot to say about the holy Spirit of God, not just the pages of the Messianic Scriptures of the Yeshua Party. Not many Messianic believers are aware of the fact that the prophets of old "who spoke as they were moved by holy Spirit" (2 Pet 1.21) were certainly moved all right -- they gave their messages while stark naked (1 Sam 19.20-24; 10.5,6,9-11). Today, if any of God's ministers or prophets such as a Billy Graham on the one hand, or an Oral Roberts on the other, "spoke as they were moved by holy Spirit" in the nude they would be up before a magistrate in no time flat being charged with indecent exposure.

But the holy Spirit is recorded as...

causing violence (Judg 3.10,11; 14.5,6 cf 13.25; 14.19; 15.14,15),

creating anger (1 Sam 11.6),

destroying life (2 Kings 2.16) and

inspiring poetry (2 Sam 23.2) -- even erotic literature (Song of Solomon).

The holy Spirit...

inspires prophecy (2 Chron 20.14,15).

It is also defined in non-personal terms in relation to the coming of the Messiah (Isa 11.2) which churchmen attempt to disassociate from the holy Spirit's indwelling presence within Messiah as recorded in the Gospels. It is almost as if, in popular theology, there are TWO holy Spirits! One found in the Hebrew Scriptures and the other in the Messianic Scriptures. But they are one and the same. Those who would somehow seek to argue an acute difference in nature should consider the Spirit's role in relation to Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5.1-11). Oh, it's the same Spirit without any doubt.

Who was Christ's real Father? God or the holy Spirit? Or, perhaps both? (Mt 1.18). Again, Messianic believers are referred to as "heirs of God and joint-heirs with Messiah" (Rom 8.17). Are we equally co-heirs of the holy Spirit? Paul doesn't refer to Him at all. Not only so, but Paul and his associates were "ministers of Messiah and stewards of...God" (1 Cor 4.1). Were they also representatives of the Spirit? Again, Paul doesn't say. In the same letter the apostle grants each of us a measure of spiritual confidence. "You are Christ's," he writes, "and Messiah is God's" (1 Cor 3.23). So whose -- or what's -- is the holy Spirit? Also, "the head of every man is Messiah and the head of the woman is the man, and the head of Messiah is God" (1 Cor 11.3). But the Spirit is head of who, what....? In this same letter Paul also refers to the transference of power and authority at the very end of all the ages in the plan and purpose of God for planet Earth.

But WHERE is the Spirit in this abdication of rule (1 Cor 15.28)?

For those who would have the holy Spirit as an ACTUAL INDIVIDUAL with Personhood Paul's second letter to the Greek Corinthians confirms their worst nightmare! What, for instance, is the role of the holy Spirit as a distinct personality involved in reconciliation (2 Cor 5.19)?

Is there an individual role for the Spirit in the matter of apostolic authority (2 Cor 12.19)?

Paul tells the Messianic believers in the "Ephesian" epistle (this letter really should be more properly designated "To the Laodecians" not the Ephesians) that nobody outside of Messiah can inherit the kingdom of God and of Messiah. But if the Spirit is co-equal as far as individual personality is concerned, what of His kingdom (Eph 5.5)? Doesn't He have one, or share one? Why is He conspicuous by his absence? Is Paul guilty of gross insubordination toward the holy Spirit? He most certainly would be if there was a Trinity! Pray tell, if Yeshua sits at the right hand of the throne of God does Messiah sit on the left hand of the throne of the Spirit (Col 3.1)? Why is his throne not mentioned? Is Yeshua haMashiach our only Mediator (1 Tim 2.5) as Paul assures us? Or do we have two mediators between God and man (cf Rom 8.26,34 with 1 Cor 15.45)? It appears from the latter biblical quotation that it is Yeshua the Messiah who so groans, agonises and rejoices with us (2 Cor 3.17,18 Greek). The angel of the Lord and the Spirit of the Lord appear to be one and the same person in Acts 8.26,29,39. The Spirit is equated in form to an angel, not God. And yet in another place as a bird (Jn 1.32 with Gen 1.2) for to flutter one must have wings. Is the holy Spirit a bird? What ridiculous nonsense! Here again in the Scripture (Acts 10.45) we find the Spirit can be equally "poured out" like a fluid as much as having the ability to "flutter." Of itself "Spirit" (Greek, pneu'ma) is neuter in gender expressing no personality of and by itself. But grammatically the pronoun describing the Spirit is masculine (Jn 14.26; 16.8,13,14). Rotherham renders the words of Yeshua,

"I will request the Father, and Another Advocate will he give unto you, that he may be with you age-abidingly, - the Spirit of truth, - which the world cannot receive, because it beholdeth it not nor getteth to know it. But ye are getting to know it; because with you it abideth, and in you it is" (Jn 14.16,17).

Admits a footnote in The New American Bible, "(On Jn 14.17) The Greek word for 'Spirit' is neuter, and while we use personal pronouns in English ('he,' 'his,' 'him'), most Greek MSS employ 'it.'"

Keeping with this thought, we often refer in English to inanimate ships in the feminine gender, "she." Paul talks of feet and ears as having mouths and the faculties of speech (1 Cor 12.15,16; 1 Tim 4.1). Sin is considered a "ruler, a king" (Rom 5.21). Note, however, what the Trinitarian New Catholic Encyclopaedia has to say about the Spirit:

"The majority of NT texts reveal God's Spirit as something, not someone; this is especially seen in the parallelism between the Spirit and the power of God. When a quasi-personal activity is ascribed to God's spirit, e.g., speaking, hindering, desiring, dwelling (Acts 8.29; 16.7; Rom 8.9), one is not justified in concluding immediately that in these passages God's spirit is regarded as a Person; the same expressions are used also in regard to rhetorically personified things or abstract ideas (see Rom 8.6; 7.17). Thus, the context of the phrase, 'blasphemy against the spirit' (Mt 12.31; cf Mt 12.28; Lk 11.20), shows that reference is being made to the power of God" (Vol. XIII, 575).

Of course, in a restoration of the lost first century Jewish thoughtform I use the feminine "She" in respect of Yeshua's reference to the Spirit in John's Gospel. After all, John was a Jew, not a Greek, and he was writing his Gospel probably in the Aramaic or Hebrew language. I cannot prove that the Gospel was originally written in another language other than Greek, but we know for a fact that the Wisdom of God, the Memra of God, and the Sh'khinah of God and the Spirit of God are all understood in the feminine gender. So I ignore the designated Greek masculine of the Spirit even if it is written as such in the "inspired" Greek text.

The inspiration of the Spirit Itself declares WHO -- WHAT -- He is through the heart and pen of David, the Shepherd King of Israel.

"If I ascend up into the heavens, you are there. If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall your hand lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the light shall be night about me... Whither shall I go from your Spirit? Or whither shall I flee from your presence?" (Ps 139.8-11,7).

The doctrine of the Trinity has no support in Scripture, either from the Hebrew Scriptures or the Messianic Scriptures. Scholars worth their salt admit this as we have seen.

God's holy Spirit IS God himself. It is the same Spirit shared by Messiah in His bodily composition and this teaching has the approbation of the apostle Paul in his letter to the Corinthians as we have also seen in this lecture.

Do yourselves a big favour and change Mt 28.19 back to what it was before being flagrantly overwritten. "Go you and make disciples of all the nations in my name."